Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Amazing Grace

ur Daily Bread Designs, ODBDSLC196, Grow in Grace, Amazing Grace Hymn, ODBD Fence Die, CherylQuilts, Designed by Cheryl Scrivens

This is our fourth and last challenge in celebration of the sixth anniversary of Our Daily Bread Designs. This week's challenge is to use your favorites or any ODBD stamp you wish, but it must only be ODBD stamps.  

One of my favorite stamp sets is Grow in Grace. I love the dogwood and the wonderful sentiments about God's grace. I stamped the Amazing Grace Hymn in a softer than usual color and stamped the dogwood repeatedly over the background, being careful to avoid the hymn title. Then I colored the dogwoods with Copic markers, matted it, and added the sweet Fence die that I also love. 

"Amazing Grace" is probably the most recorded of Christian hymns, and the text is by English poet and Anglican clergyman John Newton. John Newton, a former slave trader, came to realize that he was "wretched and miserable until saved by a grace that forever transformed his life." Chris Tomlin performed the song, Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone), for the popular movie, "Amazing Grace," based on the life of anti-slavery pioneer William Wilberforce. John Newton was his mentor, confidant, and close friend as well as co-compaigner in the anti-slavery movement. It's an amazing movie. 

But even more amazing is the grace God extends to us through His Son Jesus. As one of the sentiments in this stamp set says, it's God's Riches At Christ's Expense. It's a gift from God:

For by grace you have been saved through faith.
And this is not of your own doing;
it is the gift of God, not a result of works, 
so that no one may boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9

To see all the creations in one place or join the challenge, please visit Our Daily Bread Designs Blog. You have until April 6 to join us. You may use any stamps to enter, but if you have any Our Daily Bread Designs stamps, we would love to see you use them. If you participate, you have an opportunity to win a $15 certificate toward ODBD stamps or to be "spotlighted" for the Shining the Light Award (the SLC award is only for those who use ODBD stamps). We would love to see your creations!

For more beautiful inspiration ideas for this challenge, please visit my precious design team sisters:


I have also entered this card for this week's Word Art Wednesday challenge.  

Thanks so much for "stopping by" and leaving a comment or sharing a thought. I am so very grateful for the grace of God and that I am His child...through Christ alone.

For His glory,

Card Recipe:
Stamps:  Grow in Grace and Amazing Grace Hymn (ODBD)
Paper: Solar White (Neenah), White (PTI), Pistachio Pudding and Sahara Sand (SU)
Ink: Sahara Sand (SU)
Tools/Accessories: Copic markers, Fence die (ODBD), PerfectLayers tool, Glue n' Seal adhesive
Card Size:  A-6

19 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I so loved reading your write up about the song Cheryl!! I just love that song...but have never seen the movie you are talking about. I may have to watch that sometime.

My dear friend, your card is so soft and beautiful!! I just love the background you created with the flowers and the hymn. The fence is the perfect finishing touch!!

Have a great day sweet friend!!
hugs,
Chris

Becky said...

Gorgeous card Cheryl and wonderful post.

Robyn said...

Cheryl, this is a stunning card and the write up a great reminder of our Saviors saving grace! What an awakening Newton experienced. Not unlike that we have available to each of us! TFS

Grace said...

Oh Cheryl this is so beautiful!!! I love the softness of the colors and the light stamping of the hymn. It's like a springtime garden behind someone's perfect picket fence and you just want to go in and rest there a while! Just beautiful as always my friend!!!
hugs,
Grace

Diana Nguyen said...

One of my favorite flowering tree is the pink dogwood; it is bad that I'm waiting for a tree to die so we can replace it with a dogwood?! I love how you did used it in this gorgeous sweet card!

Becky said...

Cheryl, this is breathtaking! I love the dogwoods stamped over Amazing Grace music...what a great design!!!

DJ Rants said...

How beautiful!! I love how you've combined my favorite hymn with these gorgeous flowers and sweet fence die!! Blessings!!

Robin Clendenning said...

Amazing grace, one of my favorite songs and gets me choked up every time thinking of His grace toward me!!! His mercies are new every morning (another favorite). I was lost but now I'm found!!! I love being His!!
Love your sweet card my sweet friend! Love those beautiful flowers as well!!

Alshandra said...

Amazing Grace is one of my favourite hymns too (and Chris Tomlin's rendition :-) ). I love your card - gorgeous with all the dogwoods stamped everywhere! And I love that fence die too - it matches your card perfectly! Beautiful card Cheryl!

Karen Dunbrook said...

Beautiful card. A very moving song for me.....a piper played it for my mom and dad's funeral. Hope all is well with you mf. Thanks for your kindness and love.
hugs,
karen

Cathymac said...

Your card, your thoughts, and your sweet spirit on display, Cheryl! The dogwoods are gorgeous as well as your beautiful card design!

DebR said...

This is just so beautiful Cheryl...so serene and soft looking. Love it!

Stephanie said...

Hi Cheryl! Your card is beautiful - I love the faded song in the background, what a lovely idea! And thank you for such wonderful thoughts and words...my heart was blessed :)

Enjoy the remainder of your week! Hugs

Katie Sims said...

Beautifully colored Cheryl and a beautiful post too! So glad I saw this today! :)

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, how beautiful with the dogwoods on the music background! I just got a little fence die and been wondering how I was goind to use it. This looks just lovely!

Heather T said...

Your flowers are so delicate and pretty and I love the addition of Amazing Grace in the background.

Greta said...

I really love the design of this wonderful card, Cheryl! The dogwoods over the music background are gorgeous!

JD/ Jill said...

Cheryl, thank you so much for letting me know about the win at ODBD, it absolutely helped to make my day special...
and by the way, sometimes (actually many times) It also takes me DAYS to make one card...

stampingbowd said...

Gorgeous!!! I love the sheet music stamped beneath the Dogwoods and then the added fence! Just lovely!