Pages

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Eat Cake...and Strawberries!

Hello, sweet friends! I hope you are keeping cool and enjoying your summer (for my friends in the States and in the Western Hemisphere). It's hard to believe at times that some of my friends who live in Australia (and other countries) are having winter. Brrrr. 

Well, I needed a birthday card and decided to participate in July's Power & Spark Challenge...to copy a Bloomie! What fun! I hope you'll consider joining the challenge.

Power Poppy, Power & Spark Challenge July 2017, Allison Cope

I was inspired by today's Inspiration Challenge on Splitcoaststampers hosted by Audrie. I love her Saturday challenges and don't often get to participate. I decided to "copy" this card made by Cindy Lawrence, one of the talented Bloom Brigade (aka "Bloomies"). I must say that it is a bit intimidating to copy a card made by someone who has been a stamping "hero" and who is an amazing colorist...who also teaches Copic classes all over the country! However, it's always good to stretch ourselves and work at getting better by copying someone like Cindy (who is so dear).

I colored my image on X-Press It Blending Card, and it is so smooth and makes it easy to blend the background by first using the clear blender marker (zero) and then adding the blue. I learned this at my class with Debbie Olson (another "hero" I've followed through my stamping years...and who now is a friend after getting to meet her at the Copic classes she taught). I have learned to love using X-Press It Blending Card more and more. Anyway, I die cut the circle and matted it, and then I added the borders to the designer paper. I used twine and a button like Cindy did. I used my Mini MISTI to add the sentiment. Then I used some red tape and some Tombow glue to secure it all down...and it was done. And now it's ready for the birthday girl (but it's a secret...shh!). 

Power Poppy, Marcella Hawley, Tea in the Garden, Simply Camellias, CherylQuilts, Designed by Cheryl Scrivens, July 2017

I am so thankful for precious friends God continues to bring into my life, and I am especially grateful for dear, long-time friends who have walked with me and encouraged me in my walk with the Lord. 

Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart,
and the pleasantness of a friend
springs from their heartfelt advice.
Proverbs 27:9

Even though Power Poppy is "on vacation" right now, the store is open. And digital stamps are 20% off with the VACATIONDIGIS discount code. Who could resist that?!


Power Poppy, VACATIONDIGIS, Sale 20%, July 6-14, 2017

Sweet friends, thank you for your visits and comments that I love reading. Your prayers continue to mean so much to me...so thank you! And there are many of you for whom I am praying for specific needs. We love and need each other, and I praise God for our friendships both face to face and on the blogosphere. May God bless you.

Blessings, dear friends,


Stamps:  Tea in the Garden, Simply Camellias (Power Poppy) 
Paper: X-Press It Blending Card, Kraft (PTI), Melon Berry (PTI), White (PTI)
Ink:  Black Tuxedo (Memento), Onyx Black (Versafine)
Tools/Accessories: Copic markers, Border Duo 1 die (Impression Obsession), Circles die (My Favorite Things), corner rounder punch (EKSuccess), Mini MISTI tool, twine (PTI), beeswax, button (PTI), Multi Mono Liquid Glue (Tombow), red tape, white tape
Card Size:  A2

32 comments:

Camille Short said...

very nice CASE!

Jerri Jimenez said...

What a precious card Cheryl, so vintage, I love it!

Lin said...

I love that you used kraft card and a pretty printed paper to show off this pretty image, Cheryl, and the sentiment couldn't be more perfect! Beautiful work, as always!

Stacy Morgan said...

Cheryl this looks good enough to eat! I like the chocolate frosting, looks awesome. Yummy and wonderful case.

Brenda said...

Cheryl, this is GORGEOUS! The coloring is spectacular (as usual) and I love the design. Thanks for the time on the blender, will try it soon. I definitely need to come back more often for inspiration for the soul and crafty inspiration.

SewPaperPaint said...

Exquisite Cheryl! I just love this!

Susan Lankford said...

Lovely card, Cheryl! Your posts are always so sweet and inspiring....

Tracy said...

Oh boy could I go a piece of that right now. LOL Looks scrumptious.Hot, hot, hot here my friend and the lightening blew up the beautiful white oak in my front yard yesterday. Katrina got it's twin. So sad and will definitely miss it's shade. Stay cool. Hugs!

Kathy Jones said...

Cheryl this is gorgeous and I too loved this card by Cindy! I love your take on it and your colouring is fabulous!!

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

So you were intimidated! Cindy is an amazing artist, but then so are you. And you prove that with every posting. This card is just yummy top to bottom and I love everything about it.

stampingbowd said...

Oh, wow! This is so yummy!!! The cake looks amazing and I love the patterned paper! Beautiful card!

KathyA. said...

Your card is so very yummy! And low fat, too!

Leslie Miller said...

What a sweet, sweet card (in more ways than one)! I adore this stamp set and you've colored the cake so scrumptiously. I've sure been enjoying a lot of strawberries lately. You picked a fabulous card to CASE. I love the layout and the button/twine. It's so hard to put those buttons on a card, but they're so darn cute! Your pretty paper looks like a garden party and the lacy border reminds me of a pretty table cloth. It's so lovely to see your card today, Cheryl!

Cheryl said...

I am so thankful for the precious friends, like you, that I have met in the blogosphere, too! Thank you for your kindness, love, and support through Kristen's ordeal. You are such a dear blessing! God bless you abundantly, in return, my dear friend!

Marisa said...

That cake colouring is fabulous - so much so that I want a piece of cake and I don't eat much cake at all LOL! Glad to hear you have been able to do a bit of crafty work :) Hope you are enjoying the summer and your health is on the upswing ((hugs))!!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Very sweet card! I hopped over to see the card you cased and you did a lovely job getting in all the elements! Your coloring is so spectacular, I would want to eat that pretty cake! So glad you had a chance to share your art today. Have a good one!

Camille Short said...

Cute card, perfect background paper. I love the colors..

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is so beautifully done sweet friend!! Your coloring makes your cake good enough to eat!! Stunning work!! Love it!! I have missed you and hope to call you soon! It has been crazy! Praying for you!
hugs,
Chris

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Cheryl, I have always admired your beautiful coloring, I can't imagine you ever being intimidated on coloring. You did a wonderful job on the coloring of this yummy looking cake and you chose the best paper to go with it, Lovely card.
Thinking of you often and hoping you are well!!

Dandi93 said...

Beautifully cased Cheryl and your coloring is always spot on. The tombo glue is perfect for the times when you might need to adjust a bit.... I couldn't live without it. Hugs my dear....

Patti J said...

Loving your beautiful creation, Cheryl! Believe it or not, I just colored this image yesterday, using some teal tones...great minds! You always lift me up with your encouraging words and gorgeous creations, my friend! Take care :)

Stacy Sheldon said...

this is so very sweet Cheryl, I love how the white border looks like lace peeking out :)

Robin Clendenning said...

Oh I just love this image and what a sweet treat for someone to receive! I love the special occasion celebrative look! Reminds me of my mom which is always a good thing!!!

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Dear sweet sis, love this card, your colouring is superb and you've learned well from skilled teachers. Great balance in design too, not blogging much the Aussie winter bugs have caught up with me... Lord says rest, so rest I will.

Sending bloggy hugs.... am enjoying her earthly Father's lessons in our little devotional book tou sent, too, sis a real blessing and seem to tie in with the Oswald Chambers devotional I also read each day too.
I don't realise he, Oswald died so young till yesterday. Read each day four devotionals and four chapters of Bible, reading it through in year. A real blessing we've this freedom to do this..
Lord bless,
Shaz in Oz.x

Lisa said...

Gorgeous card!

*Vicki* said...

Absolutely stunning my friend!! You really had me at your post title, so I had to stop in and see your design of course! :) It looks so delicious and very realistic with your amazing coloring skills!! What a delightful card to feast my eyes on Cheryl! Thanks for sharing! HUGS

Susan aka rainy said...

Oh my, Cheryl! This is so fabulous!! Your coloring and shading.. look at that cake stand.. is absolute perfection!! And the design with that sweet designer paper. Completely love this!

Lisa Lara said...

WOW such lovely coloring Cheryl. I love that beautiful designer paper you used.

Donna Ellis said...

Oh so yummy! Cheryl, the deliciousness on your beautifully colored cake is making my mouth water! Darling background papers, and sweet design. Wonderful card! Hugs, de

Karen Dunbrook said...

such a delightful card...love the look and all the fine details you added.
I'm so sorry for being late to comment...5 little kiddos for 10 hrs a day is keeping me very busy.
xx Karen

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Hello Cheryl: I've had this stamps set on my wish list for a long while now but now, after seeing your delicious and gorgeous card, I'm going to purchase it!!!
I love every single detail on your card, beautifully colored image and pattern papers.
Thank you for sharing.
Hugs,
Maria Rodriguez.

Monika/Buzsy said...

Oh, that cake is so yummy! Fantastic coloring Cheryl. The designer paper is so pretty.