Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How Sweet the Sound...

Our Daily Bread Designs, ODBDSLC210, The Lord Is Risen, Amazing Grace Hymn, Pennant Alphabet, Pennant Swag Die, Antique Labels & Border Dies, CherylQuilts, Designed by Cheryl Scrivens

This is Week Two of our Shining the Light challenge to make a card or project using Sponging or Stencils.

Oh, I had fun with this card! I had an idea in my head, and it came together ever so slowly - finally! I started with the violets from The Lord is Risen, and I used Antique Labels & Border dies and the Pennant Swag die with the Pennant Swag Alphabet to spell out "grace," after I sponged it with pink. But then the fun began! I wanted to add the Amazing Grace Hymn in the background. So I had to cut one of the Radiant Rectangle dies and cut out the center for a mask, and then I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to line up the hymn and cover half at a time to extend it the width of the space. This is my second try - LOL! But don't we just love a challenge? Then I added some pearls and popped the swag banner a bit and the violets, which I fussy cut (you may know I love to do).

I love "Amazing Grace," and I've shared a link to a beautiful rendition of it in this previous post, so I decided to share the first verse and refrain of another old hymn about God's grace. Perhaps you may remember it:

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt,
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled

Grace, grace, God's grace
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within
Grace, grace, God's grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin

To see all the designs in one place or join the challenge, please visit Our Daily Bread Designs Blog. You have until August 3 to join us. You may use any stamps to enter, but if you have any Our Daily Bread Designs stamps, we would love to see you use them. By participating in the challenge, you have an opportunity to win a $15 ODBD gift certificate good towards the purchase of stamps in the "stamps column" on the ODBD website or to be "spotlighted" for the Shining the Light Award. We would love to see your designs!

For more beautiful inspiration ideas for this challenge, please visit my precious design team sisters:


Be sure to visit the ODBD blog for the "Flower/Garden Stamps and Custom Dies" sale to save 20%. 

I have also entered this card for this week's Word Art Wednesday challenge.  

Thanks so much for "stopping by" and sharing a comment, thought, or prayer request, and I hope you have a wonderful week!

For His glory,

Card Recipe:
Paper: Solar White (Neenah), White (PTI), Blushing Bride and Pistachio Pudding (SU)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento), Blushing Bride and Smoky Slate (SU)
Tools/Accessories: Copic markers, Antique Labels & Border dies (ODBD), Pennant Swag die (ODBD), Radiant Rectangle dies (Spellbinders), Empressor tool, stylus, pearls (Recollections), Multi Medium Matte (Ranger), Glossy Accents (Ranger), 3M dimensional tape, red tape
Techniques: Sponging and fussy cutting
Card Size:  4" x 6"




18 comments:

Grace said...

Cheryl this just takes my breath away!!! I love how you masked off and stamped the hymn directly on your Radiant Rectangle! So much work but oh so worth it!!! Your sponging is gorgeous and your coloring of the violets is over the top! Loved reading the words to that old hymn as well... one of my favorites from many years ago! Beautiful as always my friend!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Oh my dear sweet Cheryl, I just love everything about this card from the Amazing Grace Hymn to your framing with the fancy dies to the stunning coloring of the violets and pink! Sheer elegance!! You know my address....LOL!

Thanks for sharing the words to Amazing Grace...now I have it stuck in my head and will be singing it all day.

Gorgeous my friend!!
hugs,
Chris

Robin Clendenning said...

Oh my Cheryl!! I just love Amazing Grace because that is truly what I feel for my life.
I love your beautiful card and what a great idea to extend the music across the bg panel!! Your violets are beautiful and I love your little Grace banner!!!!
So pretty my sweet friend!

DJ Rants said...

Wow Cheryl, what a beauty!! Gorgeous sponging and your banner is perfect!!

Dorothy S said...

This is stunning - just everything about it is so lovely.

Jerri Jimenez said...

This is absolutely the most beautiful of cards Cheryl! You've outdone yourself, it's breathtakingly beautiful!!!

Nancy said...

Gorgeous card, Cheryl! Beautiful post too! That's one of my favorite hymns! :o)

JD/ Jill said...

Beautiful card...and so creative how you did the background!

Karen Letchworth said...

Hello, sweet Cheryl! This card is STUNNING! What a beautiful post and a gorgeous card. Thank you for sharing your talents and your love for the Lord. You are such a blessing!
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Stephanie said...

Sweet Grace. . .I am so humbled when I think of all that God sacrificed for us to have His precious grace. Thank you, sweet friend, for this beautiful post!

Your card is incredible! Every card you make is beautiful, but this one is extra lovely :) You have a gift, dear Cheryl.

Hugs to you!

Linda Carson said...

Striking card Cheryl! I just love the colors and your sponging is picture perfect! The hymn background is a brilliant touch! Love it!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hullo Cheryl another stunning card... wonderful work indeed... your sponging is great.
Am at lasting happy with my sponging. Love the new big daubers saw on Gina K videos and been buying them on ebay. Used it on today's card...
Love your idea with hymn at back and cool banner die.. it could go on my wish list with that other die you have.
It looks really beautiful. Shaz in Oz xxx

DebR said...

This is stunning Cheryl...everything about it. Love this song!

Katie Sims said...

Absolutely stunning card, Cheryl....so worth all of your careful work and that is one of my favorite hymns. I love the colors you used...you colored those blooms so that they just pop off the screen...amazing! Love every little detail of this card! Big hugs....and a high five for this gorgeous creation! ;)

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my, how beautiful, Cheryl! The colors, the background, the framing... love how you perked it up with the cute pennant swag. It's one of the best I've seen with those little bows. Letters placed so perfectly. And clever how you extended the hymn background! I would never have known it wasn't exactly that size to begin with. I did think it was nice that it fit so perfectly in the die, but it's YOU who made it fit so perfectly! Of course, the flowers are simply gorgeous and so beautifully colored and cut. Big sigh... so much pretty on one card!

Greta said...

Oh my dear Cheryl--I love every single thing about this card! My favorite to date! Enjoy the weekend!

Alshandra said...

Bit late with my commenting sorry! Such a beautiful card Cheryl! So elegant! Love how the background, banner and flower all tie in together and love the colours you chose! Such a gorgeous, soft card :-)

Becky said...

This is stunning Cheryl.. Gorgeous design and colors.