Pages

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Thank you for your service!

Our Daily Bread Designs, ODBDSLC209, Patriotic Pennants, Pennants Dies, Sing to the Lord, CherylQuilts, Designed by Cheryl Scrivens

This is Week One of our Shining the Light challenge to make a card or project that is Patriotic or Red, White and Blue

I hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July weekend. Fourth of July is one of my favorite national holidays. Not only do I love fireworks and parades, but I am proud to be an American and especially proud of all those who serve in the military. I decided to make a card thanking a female member of our military for her service.

I used Patriotic Pennants with the matching Pennants dies and stamped the sentiment along with the tiny flag that I colored with markers. To make it more feminine, I colored and fussy cut the small flowers from Sing to the Lord. I embossed the white background and added some dyed pearl cotton (finally got the blue ink off my fingers - LOL!).

Reflecting on Independence Day, I'm reminded that it's the day we celebrate when the 13 American colonies declared their independence. But as believers, every day is a day to depend on Christ...alone.


I am the vine, you are the branches.
He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; 
for without Me you can do nothing.
John 15:5

To see all the designs in one place or join the challenge, please visit Our Daily Bread Designs Blog. You have until July 20 to join us. You may use any stamps to enter, but if you have any Our Daily Bread Designs stamps, we would love to see you use them. By participating in the challenge, you have an opportunity to win a $15 ODBD gift certificate good towards the purchase of stamps in the "stamps column" on the ODBD website or to be "spotlighted" for the Shining the Light Award. We would love to see your designs!

For more beautiful inspiration ideas for this challenge, please visit my talented design team sisters:


I have also entered this card for this week's Word Art Wednesday challenge.  

Thanks so much for "stopping by" and sharing a comment, thought, or prayer request, and I hope you have a wonderful week!  

For His glory,

Card Recipe:
Paper: Solar White (Neenah), White (PTI), Pacific Point (SU)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento), Pacific Point (SU), Lipstick Red chalk ink (ColorBox)
Tools/Accessories: Copic markers, Pennants dies (ODBD), Circles and Lacey Circles dies (Spellbinders), Baby's Breath embossing folder (Sizzix), Night of Navy and Riding Hood Red markers (SU), pearl cotton (DMC), stylus, Glossy Accents (Ranger), red tape
Techniques: Fussy cutting
Card Size:  A-2


17 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Your card is gorgeous Cheryl! I just love the textured embossed background, the dainty flowers and your vibrant, patriotic banner border!! We all do have so much to be thankful for as we celebrate independence day...our freedoms...especially our freedom to worship God. That is truly a blessing. What a comfort to start each day in His presence and with His guidance!! Stunning red, white and blue card sweet friend!
hugs,
Chris

Becky said...

This is gorgeous Cheryl! Beautiful colors and textures.
We had pouring rain the whole day of the 4th. But it still was a good day :)

Robin Clendenning said...

Lovely card my sweet friend! I love the stars and stripes banners! Perfect!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card. Love the banners and your added little flowers. The embossed background is a perfect touch.

Jerri Jimenez said...

What a beautiful card Cheryl! I know the recipient absolutely loved it. God Bless our troops and their families. God Bless our country.

DJ Rants said...

Oh, look at those sweet little flowers on your patriotic banner, how creative!! Wonderful card to celebrate our beloved country!!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

wonderful card.. wow do I love those banners wonderful share, every blessing Cheryl, Shaz in Oz.x

Linda Carson said...

What a great idea to make a patriotic card especially for a female service member! Love the embossed and twine textures along with the banner with feminine flowers! Beautifully done Cheryl!

Karen Dunbrook said...

just a wonderful card and a great tribute to those who serve.
hug mf,
k

Grace said...

Cheryl your patriotic card is just beautiful! I can tell you're a quilter by how perfectly your points match on your banners! :) Love the added flowers and I know the recipient will love this... not only for it's beauty but for the thankfulness expressed in it as well! Just beautiful!!!

I am trying to catch up after being gone 8 days but today our AC went out and it's 94 outside and about 98% humidity. Ugh! There's never a dull moment, is there? LOL! Anyway... this too will pass and in the mean time, my garden is overflowing with goodness that I need to put up!

Missed you sweet friend! Sorry I did not communicate much at all with anyone as between no internet and no time... I only managed 1 message off to Chris and a couple to BC to try to keep up. Needing to get back in the groove!!!

hugs,
Grace

JD/ Jill said...

Wonderful card for this challenge...so very well done!

Greta said...

I love your card, Cheryl! Those banners are just wonderful & I love the embossed background!

DebR said...

This is so lovely and beautifully made.

ChristineCreations said...

Love how your star striped banners look with the flowers accenting! Lovely patriotic design Cheryl!

Alshandra said...

Stunning card Cheryl. I love the layout and the red flowers are such a nice touch for someone special.

Dawn B. said...

I too love the 4th of July. I really like the colors red, white and blue. I just visited the 911 memorial in NYC last weekend and wow talk about getting a reality check on all the service men and women have done for us. Your card will be lovely for this service lady. You are so sweet.

Leslie Miller said...

4th of July is well behind us now (just me being behind again), but this card is so beautiful and well designed I still have to love it. It's perfect for anyone in the service, whether coming home or still out there somewhere. The pennants are very cool! I love how you added the flowers for a feminine touch. We must not forget the many women in service, too!