Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lead me to the Cross...

Our Daily Bread Designs, ODBDSLC198, Easter Blessings, The Cross, Chalkboard Vine Background, ODBD Antique Labels and Border dies, ODBD Beautiful Borders dies, CherylQuilts, Designed by Cheryl Scrivens

This week's challenge is to create a card or project displaying a cross, verse, or sentiment about the true meaning of Easter, not commercialized and no bunnies.

For my card, I used the lily of the valley from Easter Blessings and the sentiment from The Cross. For my background, I used the Chalkboard Vine Background, sponged the edges, added a matting, and paper-pieced it. I added one of the borders from Beautiful Borders dies, a satin ribbon, and my tag using one of the Antique Vintage Labels & Border dies

This week is often referred to as Passion Week or Holy Week, as we trace the events leading up to the cross where Jesus died, bearing all our grief and shame. He was buried and three days later rose from the grave, defeating sin and death. When I think of all that Christ endured for me, doing for me what I could never do, I am beyond grateful for His sacrifice. It is His grace alone that has given me the assurance of eternal life.

One of my favorite songs was written nearly 150 yeas ago (in 1865), Jesus Paid It All, by Elvina Hall. Here is the refrain that I love to sing as I remember what Christ has done for me. It's nothing that I have done or could ever do to make myself right before God. It's through Christ alone. (When I sing it, I often sing the last line "He washed me white as snow.)

Jesus paid it all
All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow

To see all the creations in one place or join the challenge, please visit Our Daily Bread Designs Blog. You have until April 20 to join us. You may use any stamps to enter, but if you have any Our Daily Bread Designs stamps, we would love to see you use them. If you participate, you have an opportunity to win a $15 certificate toward ODBD stamps or to be "spotlighted" for the Shining the Light Award (the SLC award is only for those who use ODBD stamps). We would love to see your creations!

For more beautiful inspiration ideas for this challenge, please visit my precious design team sisters:


I have also entered this card for this week's Word Art Wednesday challenge.

Thanks so much for "stopping by" and leaving a comment or sharing a thought. 

This week, I pray that as we remember the events leading up to Resurrection Sunday (Easter) we realize there is nothing we can do to save ourselves from eternal death...it is through Christ alone. 

For His glory,

Card Recipe:
Paper: Solar White (Neenah), White (PTI), Certainly Celery and Lavender Lace (SU)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento), Black (Versafine), Lavender Lace (SU)
Tools/Accessories: Antique Labels & Borders dies (ODBD), Beautiful Borders dies (ODBD), Large Scallop Ovals dies (Spellbinders), Copic markers, satin ribbon (Wrights), Perfect Layers tool, Glue n' Seal adhesive, 3M dimensional tape, red tape
Techniques: Sponging and paper-piercing
Card Size:  5 1/2" square

15 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I just love that old hymn...now you will have me singing it all day. LOL! Could be worse right...what a great reminder.

I just love this card precious friend!! Gorgeous in every way. I adore the colors, your coloring and your layout!!

Stunning Easter card Cheryl!!

hugs,
Chris

Diana Nguyen said...

Gorgeous card! Your coloring is impeccable and I love that you used purple. Awesome sponging too! Thank you for sharing the hymn!

DebR said...

Cheryl your card is stunning. Beautiful colors and coloring! So lovely.
Happy Easter/Resurrection Day!

stampingbowd said...

Gorgeous!!! Lovely coloring, beautiful sentiment. That is one of my favorite songs we sing at church, we don't sing it often enough! I hope I can play along with the challenge!

DJ Rants said...

Oh so lovely!! Such beautiful shades of purple, so rich!! Love the sentiment and your wonderful coloring!! Have a blessed Easter!!

Robin Clendenning said...

Wow, this time it doesn't ask me about choosing an ID. Anyway, I love you Easter Lilies, Those are my birth month flowers and I've heard that they smell really good!! I love your purples and blues too!! Beautiful dies and ribbon Cheryl! This is a happy, happy day for you my dear friend!!! Congrats newest Dirty Girl!

Stephanie said...

One of my favorite hymns - thank you, sweet Cheryl, for sharing :)

Your card is simply lovely and the colors are so rich and beautiful. Have a blessed Easter! Hugs

Linda Carson said...

A soft, elegant beauty! Love the colors, your lovely bow and coloring! Big time congratulations on becoming a Dirty Girl! So exciting! I'll have to get a subscription now! Enjoy!

Becky said...

I love that hymn also.. Your card is just stunning. I love this stamp set, which I do have, I think I will pull it out now that I saw yours :)

Becky said...

Cheryl, this is so pretty....I just love that stamp....will have to add it to my wish list!

Alshandra said...

Your card is absolutely stunning Cheryl. Love the colours you've used and your colouring is gorgeous. Perfect paper piercing and gorgeous bow!

Diane said...

Wow Cheryl, what stunning die cut layers, colors and image.

Hugs Diane

Kelley said...

WOW, so pretty, Cheryl!! Awesome coloring!!

Leslie Miller said...

Beautiful, and, of course, I love flowers! Hard to believe that's a background stamp. It's so perfect and the small pattern makes it nice for just about any image. Love the colors. They're all so perfectly matched -- ink, paper, ribbon. Very pretty!

Greta said...

I don't do the chalkboard technique, but I so love the look of your background that I'm adding the stamp to my wishlist. Your card is just stunning, Cheryl! Thinking I may "need" that gorgeous border die, too!