Pages

Friday, January 05, 2018

Power & Spark - "Grab A Map"

Well, Happy New Year, and hello, precious friends! It's been far too long since I've posted, but life can just get in the way. But I look forward to a wonderful new year and continue to trust God in and through all things. 

For this month's Power & Spark Challenge hosted by Julie Koerber, we're asking you to "Grab A Map" and get in on some Power Poppy Fun! We've teamed up with the Pagemaps.com's CardMaps to showcase ten new sketches featuring some of Power Poppy's fabulous stamp sets. You can find all ten sketches along with the design team samples HERE. So grab a map, use it to spark a little cardmaking creativity, and then link up your creation HERE. If you play along, you'll be in the running to win a $50 Shopping Spree to the Power Poppy Shop! But wait – there's more! Becky Fleck, the fabulous PageMaps guru, is also offering a $25 Power Poppy gift card, and all you need to do is leave a comment on THIS post! The PageMaps contest closes January 22, so hop on over soon. We can't wait to see what you create. 


Power Poppy, Power & Spark Challenge, Grab A Map, PageMaps, January 2018

Truly, I struggle with sketches, so this was a good way to stretch myself creatively. I could color all day, but when it comes to making the card – I get stuck. Here's the sketch I was given to use.



I decided to use the sweet peonies from Soothing Sympathy, a sentiment from Simply Camellias, and a new paper pad. I selected three patterned sheets and started some quick coloring. After searching for a heart die, I decided to stamp the bitty peony bud and hang it as a heart with some very old thread that I found from my mother-in-law's stash (had some sentimental thoughts of how she loved needlework). The rest was a variety of other dies (see below in my recipe), and then edging several pieces with a Copic marker for a finished look and to make them stand out a bit. So here she is, and I am happy to have been inspired by this sketch. Perhaps I should try more, right? How about you? There are ten sketches to try – are you ready to stretch yourself creatively?

Power Poppy, Marcella Hawley, Soothing Sympathy, Simply Camellias, PageMaps, CherylQuilts, Designed by Cheryl Scrivens, January 2018

I'm sure that I am not alone in saying that God has allowed many difficulties in my life this past year. He has graciously given me the strength and endurance to trust Him and get through them all and has used each challenge to draw me closer to Himself. I look forward to the new year with great confidence that God is with me no matter what the future brings. This reminds me of a beautiful hymn that my dad used to sing so tenderly (and now my dad is with the Lord). Here's the refrain from "I Don't Know About Tomorrow" recorded by Bev Shea.

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know Who holds tomorrow
And I know Who holds my hand.
Lyrics by Ira Stanphill

Now it's time for my stamping friends to hop on over to the Power Poppy blog and see what Julie has to share about this new Power & Spark Challenge for January along with links to my teammates to see what sketches they used and how. Sounds like fun! 

As always, sweet and precious friends, thank you for your visits and comments that I love reading. Your prayers continue to mean so much to me...so thank you! May God bless each of you and give you strength.

Blessings, dear friends,


Stamps: Soothing Sympathy, Simply Camellias (Power Poppy) 
Paper: X-Press It Blending Card, Pretty in Pink (SU!), Bundle of Joy Girl (Echo Park)
Ink:  Tuxedo Black (Memento), Onyx Black (Versamark)
Tools/Accessories: Copic markers, Stitched Rectangles dies (Gina Marie Designs), Fishtail Layers STAX dies (MFT), Double Stitched Circle STAX dies (My Favorite Things), Large Holiday Shapes dies (Simon Says Stamp), Varicor variegated rayon thread #15 from Brazil, Thin 3M Foam Squares (Scrapbook adhesives), white tape
Card Size:  A2
Copic markers used: Petals - RV00, RV11, RV52, R81, R83; Leaves - G20, YG93, YG95; Center - YG31
SaveSave

38 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I love the soft hues of your beautiful spring card! So pretty!

Kia's Place said...

Gorgeous card Cheryl .. the papers show off your beautifully coloured flower perfectly, and I love the addition of the heart. Gorgeous card.

ChristineCreations said...

I LOVE that sweet little heart with the peony inside. Such lovely soothing papers too. Praying the Lord gives you insight to some of the deep things He is forming in you through all of what’s happened in the last year Cheryl, and an infusion of hope for the year ahead.

Marsha said...

This is so pretty. I love how you made the heart with the bud.
Love this song. Learned it as a girl and still sing it at times (just for the Lord and me!) In these uncertain times, we need to remember these truths.

Pauline said...

Oh my Cheryl, this is so pretty! I love your colours, your take on the sketch, and of course the dangling heart! So sweet! Hugs,

Gab said...

That is just so so pretty - your colours are just amazing! I love how you took the sketch and made it your own!

Barbara said...

Hello Cheryl, glad to see you back and I love this card. You really knocked this out of the park. I am loving this challenge and can't wait to get started. This is my favorite design team and I am so inspired.

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

What an absolutely beautiful card! I love the fresh colors and pretty flowers. It is 0 degrees right now, so this touch of spring is very inspiring. I still need to get over to the Power Poppy blog to see the whole challenge. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your blog posts very much.

Nora Noll said...

This is stunning!! I LOVE your layering but think my favorite part is the little heart charm with the flower. STUNNING design!

Jaclyn said...

Very lovely.. this is my first time on your blog. I think I would like to try that sketch myself. Trying to figure out what it means to "grab a Map"

Marisa said...

You rocked the sketch - gorgeous card!! I need sketches to get me going as I can't create them on my own well at all - the non creative side of me shines brightly there - I must have 1300 sketches pinned on Pinterest LOL.

My heart aches for the year you have had to walk though, Cheryl....so hard! We have had a very rough year ourselves as a family as we have been sandwich between aging parents and growing teens, being crazy busy and pulled in many directions at one time etc. etc. They are hard years indeed and I am always thankful for the strong arms of the Lord to lean into and be carried in when needed, sometimes for weeks on end. Those character building years are not fun, and often require hindsight to see the fruit, so my prayer is you will see that fruit and be encouraged ♥ HUGEST of ((hugs)) to you my friend xoxox

Patti J said...

It's good to 'hear' your voice again! I've sure missed you. We never know what God has planned for us, and at least for me, it's hard to relinquish control of my life, and give things over to Him. I hope, and sincerely pray that 2018 is a wonderful year for you and yours. Cheryl, this card is so pretty! I'm loving the color combination...it's one of my favorites! Just used it on a page in my Bible last night! Thanks for sharing, and for always inspiring. I colored an image last night. Hope to finish my 'map' and enter the challenge tomorrow! God bless, and Happy New Year!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Cheryl it is so good to see you posting and to hear from you once again! Your flowers are just beautiful!! Your little heart is just the sweetest ever with the peony inside. I just love the paper choices that you put together too, brings such a smile!
I always have such times when I hear a phrase or song that reminds me of my Dad also, so lovely that we can have those memories that keep our parents close to our hearts :)
Hope this new year brings peace and good health!

Stacy Morgan said...

Cheryl this is so pretty and sweet. It reminds me of a teenage girl for some reason? I adore the papers and colors. Not to mention your coloring. Just darling! Hoping 2018 is filled with much joys and health all around sweet friend. Hugs..

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, Cheryl! You did a beautiful job with the sketch. I love starting with the sketch, but usually do it the other way around -- color first, then try to design the card and I spend way too much time on that part of the process, so I totally understand you. I have to say my favorite part of your card is the sweet little bud in the heart. What a wonderful idea! You did Marcella proud with this beauty. I hope you're allowed a better 2018 sweet friend.

CaroleAnn said...

Cheryl, you touched a cord in my heart with your words on this blog. We are closer to God when we are broken and He never leaves our sides. I love Jesus and am so blessed to have been able to renew my faith in 2016 and be re-introduced to Our Lord and Savior! I love the hymn you put in this blog and will search for it on my phone. Your coloring is so very beautiful and I am right with you on loving to color - I could just color all day long but struggle with card designs for my colored images!!!! So I am so happy to have found this blog and I am now following you via email. Big hugs and blessings to you and yours!! xxoo

Tracy said...

How gorgeous! Isn't that little dangling heart with the rose bud the sweetest thing. Beautiful papers Cheryl. Hugs!

Dandi93 said...

So pretty Cheryl, I love the heart dangle and your mix of dp. Beautiful lyrics my dear.. Hugs

lynda said...

Oh, Cheryl...this card! The soft colors and your coloring talent really makes this a beautiful work of art. Love the dangling heart!

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

Oh Cheryl, I am so sorry it took me so long to get here. The Flu, some remodeling and a little bit of self pity have kept me from SCS and my favorite blogs.
Your card is one of my favorites and that little heart is my favorite. It reminds me of your great big kind heart. Of course, none of this is about how absolutely beautiful the card is. First, pink and green is one of my favorite color combos. Second, you coloring (as usual) is flawless. Third the attention to detail is gives the card that polished look. #4 the papers chosen are so pretty. I could go on with numbers 5 thru 10, but that might sound like I'm gushing. I'm pinning it!!!

Carol Rossouw said...

Another stunning card Cheryl. It's so pretty and, as always, your colouring is amazing!

Robyn Oliver said...

A Simply Beautiful card Cheryl - love all the elements, colours, DP and layout

Unknown said...

I love love love this card, the patterned papers, the colour theme, the colouring of the image and that fabulous sketch.
I too have experienced some difficulties in 2017 which are ongoing but the everlasting love of my God has brought me through day by day. thanks for sharing xx

Traci M said...

Cheryl, your card is exquisite!! So much beauty...but I especially love the little heart shaped tag with the single bud! I'm going to have to do that...and just may try before this sketch challenge is over. ;) Hope you are thriving, even though going through trials. I've been concerned about you! Prayers going forth for you! Thank you for your encouragement on your blog. It's always uplifting. Bless you and hugs!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Lovely card Cheryl. Such a pretty flower image. The sot lilac shades are beautiful. Oh, that sweet heart 'charm' is so perfect! Praying all is well with you! May HE continue to give you the strength you need to get through the days.

Lisa Lara said...

Hi sweet Cheryl. I so miss you and appreciate you love and comments on my blog. Hugs to you. Know my thoughts and prayers are with you. You did a fabulous job using this sketch as inspiration. Sketches always challenge me too especially ones like you used because of its layers and complexity. Yikes. You did it perfectly. Love the colors you used and that sparkly cord to dandle your heart shape. Hugs.

stampingbowd said...

Oh! You chose such beautiful papers for your gorgeously colored flowers! I love this color combo! So pretty with the banners and that hanging heart is darling!!!! So very sweet. I remember that song from George Beverly Shea! I just found it on Youtube to listen to! Thanks so much for this sweet memory and reminder that He watches over us.

Helen Gullett said...

WOW... they are amazing and beautiful cards, Cheryl.
Great take on the sketch.

Stacy Sheldon said...

Love how pretty this is Cheryl. :)

Donna Ellis said...

wow, Cheryl! You knocked this map out of the proverbial ball park! Will PP be with Power & Spark Challenge every month? Or is that a separate company? I was a little confused, even after visiting their website, but am now following them via Bloglovin'. so I guess eventually I'll understand LOL

Seriously, though, getting back to your amazing creation, I love it. Such pretty, soft colors and a great dangling heart with the little bloom in it! Beautifully done! wishing you a great week-end. hugs, de

Bev Polen said...

Oh how awesome is this card, Cheryl!! I love your coloring of that beautiful flower! You are such a great artist! And it is wonderful to see a new post from you. Yes, indeed, this has been a rough year for you and Walt, and I pray for healing and a better year ahead. You are one of God's special children, and I know He is right by your side carrying you along this journey! May God richly bless you, my special sister in Christ!! Hugs and LOTS of love, Cheryl!!

Davi said...

Who would know you struggle with the LO!! This is SO beautiful Cheryl! I love the soft colors and wonderful combo of dps. Beautiful coloring of the lovely peony too! I say you get and A+++ for this one!Cheryl, thanks you for the beautiful hymn to remind us that He never leaves nor forsakes us! It is such a comfort as the trials are escalating to know Im not alone in them! hugs :)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Cheryl!! I so love the colors and the darling design with the hanging heart. Stunning coloring of the peony! Your card is over the top!! What a beautiful hymn! It is such a wonderful reminder! I miss you sweet friend! Hope to talk to you real soon!!
Hugs,
Chris

Robin Clendenning said...

This is so beautiful Cheryl!! I love the papers and the layout and your flower is just gorgeous!!!
Beautiful sweet friend!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wow, Cheryl this is soooo lovely just doing some catch up.. silly blogger .. glad to be getting emails again, even if more than whole month late. Curious isn’t it?
Love the colours you use, you’ve such a great eye for colour
Hugs and prayers Shaz in Oz.x

Allison Cope said...

Absolutely stunning Cheryl! I don't know how I missed this one! It's gorgeous. Love the sketch you choice. Your version is to die for! Warm hugs my friend!

Cheryl said...

I'm not sure why, but I am just today receiving this blog post! I think there is something wrong with my blog subscriptions again...so frustrating! But, happy to hear from you. :) God bless you, my friend.

Susan Lankford said...

Cheryl, you are a master artist at these types of sweet, soft cards. It makes me happy to look at it. Also makes me very happy to hear how God has met you at every turn and has brought you through the many trials. Praise his name!