Pages

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Poinsettia Hugs

Hello, precious friends! Well, as many of you have welcomed fall, we are still enjoying our "summer" weather here in South Florida. But it's definitely time for making Christmas cards, because Christmas always seems to sneak up on me. 

Today I am sharing one of the most beautiful poinsettia images ever, Poinsettia and Pomegranates.
"An instant classic for Power Poppy, this showy holiday image is finally available as a digital stamp — ready for you to resize, flip, flop, or edit to fit any project you've dreamt up. Elegant poinsettia leaves burst from a whorl of pine needles and sprays of baby pomegranates. Whether you take it on at full speed with punchy reds, inject it with pinks or oranges, go for chartreuse and white, or a subtly shimmering metallic, this image is pretty much an instant knockout. Comes with a lighter version for no-line coloring, plus two new sentiments that are not available in the clear stamp version."
Power Poppy, Marcella Hawley, Poinsettia and Pomegranates, Remixed Digital Image, October 2017

Once again, I could not resist coloring this entire image and giving it center stage. It truly is a lovely arrangement! I resized it and nestled in the sweet sentiment. With all the amazing detail, I decided to use colored pencils, and I am so grateful for the wonderful Kit and Clowder real-time video classes with Alyce Keegan. They are worth the time invested, and I've listed the pencils I used in my "recipe" below. I started with the darkest color and worked to the lightest, and then I finally burnished them for a smooth blend.  

Since this is such a classic image, I decided to make a traditional card using a shaped die and designer papers. I sponged the focal image while it was still in the die, and then I very carefully gilded the edges in gold...and then added some enamel dots. I added some DMC Perle cotton to serve as "ribbon," and finally I popped the focal image with dimensional tape. I actually like the vintage feel of the card, don't you think?

Power Poppy, Marcella Hawley, Poinsettia and Pomegranates, Remixed Digital Image, CherylQuilts, Designed by Cheryl Scrivens, October 2017

I absolutely love red poinsettias and still remember all the beautiful ones that my mom would array throughout their house during the Christmas season. It was a special time to celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. It is said that the star-shaped leaf pattern of the poinsettia symbolizes the star of Bethlehem.

And behold, the star that they had seen
when it rose went before them
until it came to rest over the place where the child was.
When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy.
Matthew 2:9b-10

Now it's time for my stamping friends to hop on over to Power Poppy and purchase this beautiful digital image and use it today. And be sure to visit the Power Poppy blog today to read more and see who else is joining me!

I am entering the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge, along with the first anniversary of The Flower Challenge. (I would not be eligible for the Power Poppy prize.)

Precious friends, thank you for your visits and comments that I love reading. Please join me in praying for the victims of the hurricanes and for the horrific tragedy in Las Vegas. God is close to the brokenhearted. Your prayers and love continue to mean so much to me and many others! Thank you, and may God bless you.

Blessings, dear friends,


Stamps:  Poinsettia and Pomegranates (Power Poppy) 
Paper: Rustic White (PTI), Soft Suede (SU!), Classic Christmas (Simple Stories)
Ink:  Shabby Shutters Distress Ink, printer
Tools/Accessories: Prismacolor pencils, Grand Labels 11 die (Spellbinders), Mini Perfect Layers tool, gold paint pen (Craft Smart), enamel dots (Recollections), DMC #840 Perle Cotton, Copic E43 for edging, 3M dimensional tape, red tape, white tape
Techniques: Digital images using Microsoft Word, sponging, pencil coloring
Card Size: 4½” 5½”
Prismacolor pencils used: Poinsettia Petals – PC925, PC924, PC923, blended with PC938 and PC940; Poinsettia Center – PC1034, PC940, PC923; Greenery – PC1097, PC1005, PC989; Pomegranates – PC922, PC923, PC1034, blended with PC940
SaveSave
SaveSave

31 comments:

Sue said...

Gorgeous card, the poinsettia image is beautiful!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Hello Cheryl: This card is gorgeous, I love this Poinsettia image and you just brought it to life with your amazing coloring. Love the layout and the sweet background pattern papers you used, the gilded edges give this image such an elegant look.
Thank you for sharing with us at THE FLOWER CHALLENGE on this our First Anniversary, it's been such a sweet and amazing year, I'm thrilled to be a part of this group of oh so talented ladies.
Big Hugs and Good Luck!!!

Maria Rodriguez.

Barbara said...

Thud! You have really shown your talent here Missy! What a wonderful feel that this vintage look to this poinsettias. Really brings memories of times long ago. Or maybe not so long ago. I love this Cheryl!

SewPaperPaint said...

Incredible! Yes, an instant classic indeed! Especially if one could color it as beautifully as you have. This is so perfect. The sponged edges and paper choices are beautiful details. Hugs, Autumn

Angelnorth said...

Beautiful image, beautifully coloured! Lovely warm, vintage feel to this Cherly, sure to be treasured!

Karen Dunbrook said...

Wow Cheryl, you have such a way of adding colour to an image that makes it come to life! Amazing mf. Love how beautiful this card looks and the way you have added details to make this card shine.
Hope all is well with you and yours.
sending a big hug,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Hi, This is my 1st visit to your Blog, you have such a wonderful, beautiful blog I found it very refreshing and so glad I came across it today. Your card is just STUNNING, really beautiful and what pretty colors. Thank you for sharing it with us. Tracey Magner.

JoAnn said...

Gorgeous card and gorgeous poinsettia. Your coloring is fabulous.

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my word, Cheryl! Your pencil coloring of this is amazing! And I love your sponging and gilding and the whole card design. I have this in a clear stamp set, but the digi is tempting considering the ability to resize, and I love the sentiments with this. You do make one gorgeous card after another, and I truly am inspired!

Allison Cope said...

Cheryl, this is just simply stunning!! I love those papers you used to compliment your gorgeously coloured poinsettia! Extra big hugs from across the miles!

Jerri Jimenez said...

A stunning Christmas card Cheryl, I love the poinsettia pattern! Your coloring is absolutely stunning, as it the cord accessory, so perfect for the design! The designer paper compliments the image perfectly. Hugs!!!!

Marjorie DUMONTIER said...

Your card is absolutely fabulous !!

Shirley N said...

Oh Cheryl, your coloring is absolutely stunning! I always love your card designs, and this is gorgeous!

Tracy Freeman said...

Such a beautiful, traditional card. Your colouring is fantastic and I love the inking around the edge of the piece.
Thank you for sharing with us at simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge x

Ericka Strange said...

Gorgeous card and I love the background papers with this lovely poinsettia. Beautiful job.

Pauline said...

Oh Cheryl, this is STUNNING! Your colouring is beautiful - I love how you captured the highlights on the petals and berries - I seem to struggle with that at times, as to know just where to put those highlights.
Love the die cut frame you used and the gold gilding around the edges finishes this off perfectly, as well as those enamel dots! This is so pretty, such a lovely Christmas card - which I need to start working on as well! Have a wonderful day, TFS, hugs,

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

Cheryl that is the most gorgeous poinsettia ever! I am so glad she made this into a digi. I was tempted to buy the stamp, but now that I've seen you're card, I am sure to buy the digi. Love, Love your rendition.

Donna Ellis said...

oh my, Cheryl! Such beauty seen in the black and white line art, but then to see it colored by your most capable hands - sigh - tremendous beauty and loveliness! I especially like the muted colors of the greenery, which pick up your background colors on the two panels. It's a lovely card, Cheryl! hugs, de

Conniecrafter said...

You did a fantastic job with this flower, beautiful coloring and I do love the vintage feel to it. Such lovely memories you have of your mother decorating for Christmas. Isn't it wonderful all the symbolizing turning back toward Jesus that we use during the holidays, you have started off the season so lovely!
Oh Yes so many things to continue praying for our country and our world!

Traci M said...

Cheryl, this is such a stunning card! I didn't see the pearlized cotton cording...that is such a pretty accent also! I haven't tried any of the Kit and Caboodle classes...but you've sure made some wonderful cards! My husband is in Big Pine Key, Florida right now...cleaning up the mess from Hurricane Irma. It was his Father's home...and he sadly passed away about a year ago. We were just getting ready to put it on the market. Thankfully, the home is fine...just a lot of damage to the exterior, air, and power. It is certainly a mess there! Bless you, dear lady!

Tracy said...

Such beautiful detail Cheryl. You've brought that image to life. Lovely design and the soft inking and gold accents are delightful. hugs!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Cheryl, this is a perfectly classic and classy Christmas card. The image is colored beautifully and I just love the perfectly applied addition of the gold gilding. The papers do not overpower the image, they are really lovely. Great job! Thanks so much for your recent visits to my blog. Your comments are always very encouraging. It is a busy fall here with the kids, but I am enjoying crafting as much as ever. Have a great day!

TaeEun said...

Your coloring on the gorgeous poinsettia image is amazing! Love every festive details on your card in vintage style! Thank you so much for joining us at The Flower Challenge!

Dandi93 said...

Stunning Cheryl, your coloring is always spectacular. Love the kraft, sponging, and the gold edging....

Susie said...

Your poinsettia is colored to perfection, Cheryl! What a lovely card. I used this poinsettia several years ago for our Christmas cards and in my humble opinion, it's one of the nicest poinsettia illustrations I've seen.

stampingbowd said...

Cheryl, I could look at this all day! Your coloring is splendid! I am in awe as always! Gorgeous framing and wow, you found perfect papers to go with your stunning image.

Marisa said...

Wow!!! Your poinsettia is STUNNING. The dimension is incredible - a true work of art with your colouring! Gorgeous card. Hope you are keeping well and gaining strength daily ((hugs))!

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Simply stunning, dear sweet Cheryl, I agree this is one special image and you’ve certainly done it justice in showcasing it in every way on this gorgeous vintage looking card.
You really put your heart and soul into colouring, well done. I’ve been playing with my pencil sets of late, too.
Hugs and prayers dear sweet friend, your gift daily blesses my heart and draws me closer to Him. I thank God for you,
Shaz in Oz.x

nwilliams6 said...

Beautiful card, Cheryl. Love the papers, but the image is sooooo pretty and you did such and excellent job coloring it. Your cards have such a sweetness to them! Hugz

Susan aka rainy said...

This is exquisite!! Your coloring is so beautiful... such perfection, Cheryl. Love.

Monika/Buzsy said...

Happy Thanksgiving Cheryl. May you have a blessed evening and a restful weekend (unless you do shopping-LOL). Gorgeous card. Love that poinsettia image and the fantastic coloring!