Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2015

A Partridge in a Pear Tree

Hello, sweet friends, and I trust that you have had a good weekend. It's so nice to share another card for you in November.

It's the 15th of the month, and I am so excited about this month's new Instant Garden digital release from Power Poppy by Marcella Hawley called Partridge in a Pear Tree. It is an absolutely beautiful pear tree with ornaments and a sweet partridge - all "growing" out of a darling teapot. Just look at this amazing new Instant Garden digital. Is this the sweetest??


Power Poppy, Marcella Hawley, Partridge in a Pear Tree, Instant Garden Digital, November 2015

Oh my, this set is special because it comes with two main images - one with the words on the teapot and one without for versatility. There are also two wonderful sentiments.

I found several beautiful images that inspired me, and I used the main image without the sentiment in the teapot. I wanted to make a card that I could use to send several people and used one of the sentiments from Cozy Cupfuls. But I definitely plan to use the other image along with the sentiments in this set (you must see the whole digital release, Partridge in a Pear Tree).

Power Poppy, Partridge in a Pear Tree, Instant Garden Digital Image, CherylQuilts, Designed by Cheryl Scrivens

I simply opened Microsoft Word, dragged in the main image, resized it, and then made another copy so I could print two. (Please see last week's post for details about how to do this so that your images will move and stay where you want them.) So then the fun began as I started to color (after finding some wonderful inspiration photos). Once colored, I die cut it using a stitched die, and then off to my MISTI to add my sentiment from Cozy Cupfuls. It still was missing something, so I dared to use BG70 to color in the entire background while it was still in the die. Next, I decided to use my gold Krylon pen to gild the edges (very carefully so some of the white inside would show). It just seemed to call for a traditional feel to me. Wanting to pull out the red from the sweet "ornaments," I used Pure Poppy to border it using a small scalloped die. Then I adhered it to the white card base, and it was done! What do you think? I know it will mail well, and I will make more of these. (Hint: I photocopied the original before coloring the background using "Best Quality" on Neenah, and then I Copic enhanced it followed by doing the BG70 coloring.) So try it with your printer to see whether it works. I was delighted, and my dear husband could not tell the difference (good test, eh?). And it will help me to make more cards. (I send out a fair number of cards to family and friends who don't live nearby to stay in touch.)

After finishing my card, I realized just how much I am looking forward to Christmas. (And I  must admit that this image had me singing the "Twelve Days of Christmas!" What fun!) But what true joy to celebrate the birth of our Savior. He came to this earth to live as a man and to die so that we might have eternal life with Him. That's the true gift of Christmas.


Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and they shall call His name Immanuel
(which means God with us).
Matthew 1:23

Now it's time to visit the Power Poppy blog and see what Marcella has to share with us, and be sure to visit Broni Holcombe and Debbie Olson to see their beautiful cards. 

Then hop on over to visit Power Poppy to get this new digital release to use today. While you are there, don't forget to check out the entire digital collection! Have you seen how many digital stamp sets they have? And I love them all!

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing a comment, thought, or question. I love hearing from you and am always happy to answer questions, so don't hesitate to email me. (I am entering this in this week's Word Art Wednesday challenge.)

Blessings,


Stamps:  Partridge in a Pear Tree,  Cozy Cupfuls (Power Poppy) 
Paper: Solar White (Neenah), Pure Poppy and White (PTI)
Ink: None - Printer
Tools/Accessories: Copic markers, Stitched Rectangles dies (Simon Says Stamps), Blueprints 20 dies (My Favorite Things Stamps), MISTI, gold Krylon pen
Techniques: Digital images using Microsoft Word
Card Size:  A-2

33 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cheryl, I LOVE your beautiful card! You colored it so very perfectly and your explanation of your process is wonderful. It is a lovely digital image! I looked over the Power Poppy site last evening - the digital stamps especially. I really like digis and loved the ones offered! I know that I will purchase some, I just need to decide which ones. Now I want to check out the other sites you highlighted. You have a wonderful blog, Cheryl! Several hugs, Marti

Lin said...

Oh, this is so lovely,Cheryl; you've really brought this image to life! Love the touches of red spread throughout, and the scalloped border is perfect!

SewPaperPaint said...

Wow oh wow, Cheryl! This is as gorgeous as gorgeous gets! This is the prettiest partridge stamp ever - a true must have! I'd go over and buy it right now if I could color as pretty as you... Not one of my talents... Absolutely beautiful, sweet girl! <3

A Place for Kia said...

Beautiful Cheryl - I love anything related to Partridges and Pears! You have coloured this beautifully and thank you for explaining your process. Just gorgeous mf

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

The last two release have been so unique. You really outdid yourself with this one. The arrangement and the coloring are so festive. I really like the scalloped edge too. I remember the photo tip. That's an excellent idea, as I like to add just one more thing which sometimes turns out to be a disaster.

Susan Lankford said...

A really lovely card, Cheryl! Love the background coloring and the matching scalloped layer!

Karen W said...

Gorgeous card and I love the backgrounds and colors

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wowzer my friend!! Absolutely stunning!! I so love your background coloring and the coloring of your image paired with the scalloped border!! Gorgeous holiday card!! I love that image!! I wish I had more time to sit and color some of these power poppy images!! I too am looking forward to Christmas and celebrating the true meaning of Christmas!! Love you sweet friend!!
TTYS!
hugs,
Chris

Allison Cope said...

Oh Cheryl.... it's beautiful! I just love the colours you used. Gorgeous card my friend!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Cheryl, you bring life to your images. I didn't see what you saw in this set until ... until I saw what you did to it. Wow. Your coloring is exceptional. Any digi and your talents are a definite winner. Hope you're feeling better every day. Hugs to you, Anne Ryan

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, you made this so pretty, Cheryl! Your research paid off because your partridge looks so authentic. I was surprised by how many different kinds of partridges there are. Did my research, too, but haven't started coloring yet. The sentiment underlines this very nicely, and I just love the mats -- both stitched and the dainty scalloped mat. So cute! And I really love that you're sharing just how pretty a card can be without having a whole lot of embellishment. I was looking forward to seeing what you did with this image. I knew it would be fabulous!

Julie Gearinger said...

Wow, what fabulous coloring on this sweet digi image!! Love the added background with the scallop die and all of your extra details :-) Thanks for the tip regarding copying- what a great idea! Hugs and have a blessed week, my friend!

Christina Hor said...

Oh it is so nice to see another card from you this month Cheryl! I love the gold pears! So festive with the red ornaments! Awesome idea about photocopying. That would speed up getting all those Christmas cards done in time! Thanks for the tips Cheryl and for another beautiful inspiration. Does that means we won't see another stunning creation from you until December? LOL.

Hugs, Christina

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous, I love your coloring especially of the bird, they give me such hard times to color them. How neat you were able to do your background on the computer, Greg is very good at using his computer with his heart to create things. The stitched border with that sweet little scallop was a great framing idea and just tops it off nicely. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

Robin Clendenning said...

Lovely Cheryl! I love your coloring on the pot and the pears especially!! Gosh BG70 is so light I'm surprised it shows up in the photo but it is beautiful! What a fun stamp for Christmas too. I love you sweet friend!! Hope you are feeling better!!

Linda Carson said...

I'd say this beauty is picture perfect indeed! Love the coloring and how you eliminated the words from the pot! Bright and cheerful just like you!!

Susan (rainy) said...

Oh Cheryl your coloring is always so exquisite! Those pears just shine!! Such a gorgeous card. Love.

Gunilla/Nilla said...

This card is so pretty! Perfect coloring and awesome layout. Love your elegant style.

Big hugs for you♥

JD/ Jill said...

Very pretty and great coloring as always! Blessings...Jill

Traci M said...

Hi Cheryl...I think your card is so beautiful, pretty colors, wonderful coloring and just the right pop of color for a traditional feel!! I wish I could remember your trick of photocopying a card before assembling...that is such a great idea and I have a few colored images that I would love to do that with...but alas they are stuck on a card!! Just like you, I love making Christmas cards and singing along. Thanks so much for sharing; wishing you a blessed week!! Hugs,Traci

Tracy said...

You always know just what colors will bring these images to life. Stunning my friend. The shading on the teapot is beautiful and those pears are shining like gold. Love it! Hugs!

Krystal Kats said...

That's a stunning card! It's hard to believe it's almost Christmas. I am so sorry I have not been back to thank you for actually visiting my blog. I am not sad or sorry to hear you are not quilting lately. I love card making, and flipped to sewing right now. about 2 years ago I was card making a lot. I miss it and have tons of card making dies. Some not even open. So sad. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa Lara said...

Wow that is gorgeous Cheryl. Love this digi. Marcella makes the most beautiful digis. I love your soft blue.

Stephanie said...

I am here, sweet friend, I am finally here on your beautiful blog :) Oh, how I have missed YOU and your sweet posts.

This card is just adorable! I would definitely say this is a favorite of mine as it is different and oh-so-cute :)

I hope you are well, dear one, and I hope you had a nice Saturday. Thinking of you! Much love!

Broni said...

Cheryl, this is so sweet and beautiful and I love the sentiment you paired with it!

dewi lam said...

what a beautiful work cheryl... the pear individually colored, the bird, the leaves...nice!!

Marisa said...

Great image and wonderfully coloured!

Angelica Schmidt said...

Gorgeous creation Cheryl! Love your beautiful coloring and card! Happy Thanksgiving my friend! XO

Christina Hor said...

Hi Cheryl! Just stopping by to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you are doing well.

Hugs,
Christina

Debbie Olson said...

Those pears positively GLOW, Cheryl--fabulous job!

Karen Dunbrook said...

Well I finally made it over here and I have to tell you that you just never disappoint!!!! Another WOW! card mf. I just love your work...so pretty, so pure, such eye candy.
The images from Poppy Power are so for you! Amazing talent.
You are special to me.
hugs,
Karen

Stacy Morgan said...

Simply beautiful, again your coloring is outstanding girl. I like the simple scalloped edge. Beautiful

Shirley N said...

I hope to someday color my backgrounds like you but I know I would ruin it, lol. Your card is stunning Cheryl. You do amazing work!